Wednesday 27 July 2011

Good Golly Miss Olley Australian Treasure gone at 88 years + Archibald 2011 win + Archibald 1948 +


Gorgeous image of Margaret Olley & Ben Quilty earlier this year
after his portrait of Margaret won
Australia's prestigious 2011 Archibald Prize ...
Margaret took to colour after a bout with depression ...
her colours were splendid ...
her settings were gorgeous ...
in 1948 William Dobell won the Archibald for this portrait of Margaret ...
I was transfixed when I saw it at the Sydney Art Gallery.
I hope she was like this till her last breath.


I so want to be like Margaret when I grow up ...

good golly Miss Olley you've gone way too soon.


2 Comments:

Lyndel said...

R.I.P. Margaret
thanks for posting this Cherie, I have loved her work for as long as I can remember, flowers, flowers, flowers.... so beautiful.♥

ladychiara said...

I remember seeing her interviewed on TV some years back. I know very little about art but I was enchanted by this fascinating lady and loved her character and spirit. I love her use of colours and was deeply saddened to hear of her death.She will be sadly missed by many and I am sure continue to be an inspiration to upcoming and current artists even in her passing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails