Wednesday, 20 August 2008
The ever imaginative Bec has, in keeping with kids return to school, suggested a meme. Great idea, I love these. As a lover of lists, questions and answers, thanks Bec I'm on the job ...
1. Do you write fiction or non-fiction? Or both?
Non fiction ... I'm able to write fiction if the need arises.
2. Do you keep a journal or a writing notebook?
Yes to both, a journal as well as an writing ideas notebook.
3. If you write fiction, do you know your characters’ goals, motivations, and conflicts before you start writing or is that something else you discover only after you start writing? Do you find books on plotting useful or harmful?
Having written fiction I knew the basics but this often changed as the story developed. Most books on writing are useful.
4. Are you a procrastinator or does the itch to write keep at you until you sit down and work?
5. Do you write in short bursts of creative energy, or can you sit down and write for hours at a time?
Once I start it's usually impossible to stop. When I do stop I sleep like a baby!
6. Are you a morning or afternoon writer?
Afternoon or night.
7. Do you write with music/the noise of children/in a cafe or other public setting, or do you need complete silence to concentrate?
I prefer quiet and usually the TV is on in the background.
8. Computer or longhand? (or typewriter?)
9. Do you know the ending before you type Chapter One? Or do you let the story evolve as you write?
I always have a basic idea - but anything can happen! Especially when things you thought you'd forgotten pop up or research takes you down another road.
10. Does what’s selling in the market influence how and what you write?
Presently no influence.
11. Editing/Revision - love it or hate it?
Love it ... knowing when to stop is the hardest.