Saturday 15 April 2006

Howard of the Overflow!

For those of you who don't know the Australian Prime
Minister is being a prime chump over a deal done with
Iraq and the Australian Wheat Board! The following
was sent to me by a dear mate, Flick, written to the
classis Australan poem "The man from Snowy River"
get an Aussie to read it to you - you won't believe how
clever this is ~ enjoy and read with gusto!
Whoever wrote it deserves a coldie - or ten!

Howard of the Overflow.

(must be read out aloud with gusto)

I had written him a letter, which I had, for want of better
Knowledge, sent to where I met him at the wheat board,
years ago. He was chairman when I knew him, so I sent
the letter to him Just on spec, to make the point that
"Howard doesn't want to know". And an e-mail came
directed, not entirely unexpected (And I think the same
was written in some Middle Eastern bar). 'Twas his CEO
who wrote it, and verbatim I will quote it: "Trevor Flugge's
gone to Baghdad, and we don't know where he are".
"But when he left Australia, he was going to meet with Alia,
A trucking mob in Jordan, who were keen to grease the
wheels. For 10 percent commission, they could swing
Saddam's permission To get our wheat accepted; it's the
mother of all deals". "But I guarantee, Prime Minister,
that there's nothing at all sinister. The chaps at DFAT
told us that the sums looked quite okay. When you're
selling wheat in billions, what's a quick 300 million? If it
keeps the Nationals happy, it's a tiny price to pay."
Sitting here at Kirribilli, I've been thinking, willy-nilly,
That it's somehow reminiscent of the children overboard:
But I can handle Rudd and Beazley, as I always do, quite
easily By endlessly protesting that there's nothing untoward.
I'll tell Bush next time I meet him at The White House,
when I greet him, That I'm sure he'll understand about the
wheat board's quid pro quo. He'll forgive this minor error in
the global war on terror When I look him in the eye and
tell him Howard didn't know.
_____

0 Comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails