Wednesday 13 February 2008

SORRY Day Australia Feb 13 2008 ... Reconciliation

After only eleven weeks in office Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, has said SORRY to the 'Stolen Generations.'

Between 1910 and 1970 100,000 Aboriginal babies and children, mostly under 5 years of age, were taken from the arms of their mothers and families. Most were raised in church or state institutions, many were physically or sexually abused, some were fostered and adopted. Federal and State Governments of the day called it 'assimilation', 'colonisation' it can best be described as genocide. Generations of Indigenous Australians suffered the consequences ... read more.

The degredation, separation and atrocities these children were subjected to had long ranging effects. Mental health, alcoholism, hopelessness all with a great feelings of loss plagued too many. Today surely must bring some kind of hope and peace to survivors and their families.

Sadly 36% of the population still agree that SORRY is not neccessary even after previous heartfelt demonstrations.

Former Prime Minister John Howard maintained his myopic attitude to SORRY by not participating in the ceremony, yet the now leader of the opposition Brendan Nelson opened his heart with aggreement.

The unfinished business of searching for great grandparents, grandparents, aunties and uncles, sisters ands brothers will continue ... may such gross human acts never happen again. Sorry.

6 Comments:

myrtle beached whale said...

Holy cow!! I consider myself somewhat knowlegable about the world, but I had no idea. Thanks for educating me that Australia is not as idyllic as I imagined. I still want to go there though.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the education... this I did not know. This makes me want to visit Australia even more... it has quite a past.

UL said...

I did not know...oh my!

Anonymous said...

I don't think we should have to say sorry, a an Australian I apologise for what happened but I am not going to take responsibility for my anscestors actions!!

Cherie said...

Thankfully only 36% of Australians feel like the last commentor - who cowardly hides behind anonymity ...;(!

ButterBricks said...

lol @ Redness's comment. - For starters, take your criticism back to your own country. My mother was taken by the same regime as the 'Stolen Generation', only thing is she was white. - She got no "sorry". The whole thing was a joke, Rudd is clueless even to our 'true history'.

Related Posts with Thumbnails