Friday 1 February 2008

Sunday Scribblings # 96 ... FOUL ...

My brother used to tell this story ...

He used to go long journey's to the centre of Australia for his job. He drove thousands and thousands of kilometres in his Holden panel van and decided he'd buy a parrot for company. He found a parrot, fully grown, sitting in an outback general store, did a deal with the store owner and off they drove, man and bird.

BUT ... unbeknowns to my bro the bird had a foul mouth, a bad attitude with the worst vocabulary known to man. Every second word was an expletive.

My Bro tried to change the bird's language by quitting swearing himself, speaking politely, playing gentle music, nothing worked. When he chastised the bird the performance worsened.

Back at home he became fed up with the incessant foul language and late one night, after too many Coopers ale's, he put the parrot in the freezer. He could hear the bird swearing and squawking then nothing, dead silence.

My Bro thought he'd gone too far and raced to the freezer. As he raised the lid of the freezer the parrot stepped out onto my Bro's arm and said ...

"I'm sorry that I have offended you with my foul language I ask your forgiveness and from this day forward I will endeavor cease and desist."

Flabbergasted, before my Bro could respond the parrot continued " ... and may I ask what the chicken did?"

21 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I too had heard something similar. However, I did enjoy it.

anthonynorth said...

Excellent - I hadn't heard it before.
I don't know what happened to it, but in 1974, when I lived in London, there was a pub just off Shaftesbury Avenue that had a fou-mouthed parrot, too.
It brought in drinkers in droves.

paisley said...

that is priceless... i love it!!!!

Anonymous said...

You really had me going for a moment, as I'd forgotten that joke. Excellent!!!

Claremont First Ward said...

I'll bet he's gotten many a laugh from this story! :)

Sherry said...

ROFL!! That was good...perfect for the prompt!!

Tumblewords: said...

Too funny and the really strange part is that I, too, had heard it previously but just continued reading and was surprised at the punchline. What's that say? Good post!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for retelling a classic. You are a riot.

Anonymous said...

This is great! and you were fast in putting this together...I have yet to write my 'foul' post.

Robin said...

ROFLMAO! Love it!

The Literary Prostitute said...

That was hilarious! One of my friends actually worked in the bird exhibit of a zoo in Pennsylvania. She wanted the African Grey they had, so she stayed late at night and taught it to curse. Since they couldn't put it on display after that, they let her have it. Great post!

Lilibeth said...

Ha. I like that story too. We really did have a parrot once, but he didn't use foul language. He did love to wolf whistle though and then hide in his tree and people would turn, thinking it was us.

Patois42 said...

Oh, I'm so glad your mind brought you to that joke.

Anonymous said...

My first time hearing it... very funny!

Anonymous said...

I've always loved this joke! Thanks for reminding me of it! :-)

My Scribblings are up... not for the faint of heart or the delicate of sensibilities... come visit if you dare!

GreenishLady said...

This is a new one to me. I enjoyed it a lot! Thanks for a good laugh, to make up for all the gagging some of the other posts brought on!

tricia stirling said...

totally cute!

latree said...

funny!!

UL said...

oh I am so glad I didnt this fun one...you say it so well.. so very well, Redness.

Heather said...

That has to be one of the all-time best jokes -- and you did a great job with your telling of it! It took me awhile to catch on, even though I'd heard it before. lol

Thanks so much for your visit and for your encouraging words on my first post. Seems like a really great group of people here. I plan to stick around for awhile. ;o)

little wing writer said...

ha-ha... good one mate...

Related Posts with Thumbnails