Saturday 16 February 2008

Sunday Scribblings # 98 - SLEEP / TEETH ...

Let me tell you I was browned off when I read from the Sunday Scribbling gals for this week! The prospect of going to listen to (I first read it as Whoopie) Natalie Goldberg, I went bloody green. Have you read her book? If you’re a writer, of any calibre, do yourself a favour and read it.

Learning this at about 1am this morning turned my brain on just as I’m endeavouring to shut the darn thing down … then reading on … Sleep … the avenger that’s plagued my entire adult life, crikey how many more layers do I need to peel off this onion … and to top it off Teeth … I adjourned ... pulled the doona over my head, turned on the white noise, put in the ear plugs and took no pills.

Today I contemplated SS for this week, now almost twenty four hours on, heading towards the bewitching hour, the words are in order.


Over thirty years ago medical malpractice introduced me to benzo’s, no getting to the root cause, just pop these little things, they said. Take a half one a night for now, maybe a half a stronger one if you need … and so it went for decades. Benzo’s, along with a few buckets of beauj’ or some other enticing alcoholic beverage became a nightcap. Trust me it was not that simple, but we're not onion peeling.


Now I know how to sleep.

Sleep was never explained, never taught and I’ve wondered frequently what my childhood sleeping pattern must have been? But we won’t go there for now otherwise I’ll have to tell you how my mother had my top teeth removed when I was twelve years old and how I was able to gum granny smith apples better than any kid you’ve ever known while I waited for my gums to shrink before the dentures were fitted.


So ... was it OK to be browned off or fed up to the back teeth last night?

Sleep tight.

14 Comments:

paisley said...

i did a lot of drugs for a lot of years,, and had to relearn sleeping.. i love it now... if i am not careful,, i can overindulge with ease..... i am working on remembering my dreams better at this point....

Lucy said...

oh wow, fitted for dentures as a child? that must have been a traumatic experience! Glad you are sleeping well now.

Robin said...

Both of those two things must have been incredibly difficult. Many layers to the onion I'm sure.

((hug))

Anonymous said...

I need a black mask and earplugs to get the job done. The worst part is dreaming I have no teeth. And now thinking about you losing all your top ones as a child.

Anonymous said...

You clearly haven't had it easy. This is a fascinating and at times alarming post. A truly interesting read.

Maree Jones said...

I think there isn't enough respect given to sleep. Like you said it IS something that has to be learned and really, something to be respected. I too am sorry to hear about your childhood experience with teeth. The scars that life leaves us.

Anonymous said...

Paisley, Lucy, Robin, Colleen, Keith, and Beautiful Witch ... Thank You All so much for visiting and for your comments!

Please know my intention is not to seek sympathy! I'm able to recount my stories, since learning that past experiences are the core of the fabulous person I am NOW! Your kindness is greatly appreciated!

Forgetfulone said...

It is so easy to take a pill to go to sleep. I guess I need to actually learn how to do it, though! Loved your post.

Tumblewords: said...

Love your meeting the challenge of toothless tops and granny smiths. Sleeping. I can barely... I'd like to learn how but who can teach me? And I haven't read Goldberg's newest but I will. She's impressive, for sure!
The answer from me to you on the final question: Yes. :)

myrtle beached whale said...

wow, this was not the prompt you hoped for but you did it well. As always, you are very entertaining.

anthonynorth said...

Sometimes the prompts we don't want to face can be the best.
You certainly pulled it off.

Anonymous said...

No worries, you did great with the prompt.

snooze time, baby!

UL said...

hey you did great with this one....sweet dreams to you every night!

DJPare said...

I hear ya! I've always had a terrible time getting to sleep.

Related Posts with Thumbnails